Why Should I Choose Mythras?
Here are a few reasons why...
- Intuitive: Mythras's rules are easy to learn and easy to use. Everything you need to know is held on your character sheet.
- Modular: Although a complete and elegant system, Mythras is highly modular. Individual systems, such as the different magic systems, can be easily excluded to reflect a particular style of campaign or setting. Removing certain systems does not break the overall integrity of the mechanics.
- Flexible: Mythras can model just about any kind of fantasy - grim Swords and Sorcery; world-saving High Fantasy; dark romance; mythic-historical settings... Mythras makes all of them possible with the same mechanics.
- Realism: Although a fantasy game Mythras is successful at simulating realism. Its combat system, for instance, is based on real-world fighting techniques by experts in close-quarters combat.
- Skill-Based: Characters are defined by their skills - not abstract levels - and their progress is measured in how their expertise develops. No character is confined to an archetype; the character develops how you want it to develop.
- Gritty, but Heroic: Mythras characters and bad-guys can be felled by a single, well-placed blow, yet the game also maintains systems allowing for truly heroic actions in a cinematic style.
- Complete: Mythras is a complete game in one book. Everything players and Games Masters need to play will be there, in one volume.
- Campaigns and Adventures: One of Mythras's defining qualities has been the strength of its campaigns and adventures in terms of quality, creativity and scope: from the lauded supplements such as Monster Island, through to Mythic Britain and our SF supplement, Luther Arkwright. The Design Mechanism will be bringing you more campaigns and adventures of this ilk.
Praise for The Design Mechanism's Work
Pete and Loz developed Mythras over almost a decade. Here's what people have had to say...
"So would I recommend [it]? Darn tooting. To my eyes its my favourite BRP-based game."
Bruce Mason: RPGnet Review
"This is an excellent D100 roleplaying system for fantasy. The game mechanics are easy to learn and quick to play."
B Fuller, Amazon.com Review
"This is probably the best version... and one that emphasizes playability while retaining the thematic elements that make d100 games so distinctive... Best RPG Core Rules I've seen"
The Rune Underwater Blog